Things of Interest

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Preparing for the Truck Camper Life

Some time back we bought a vintage TREK truck camper off Craigslist, and have been working on fixing it up.  We then bought a vintage (1991) Chevy Pickup Truck to carry it.  Next step in the process will be to find a semi-permanent location to park the '87 Argosy so we can do some adventuring in the truck camper.

Although this woman lives in her van, her points in this video are also applicable to living in our trailer and to our plans of traveling in the truck camper as well.  I just subscribed to her channel.  Just a tip from me - most of the time when I watch talking heads on youtube, I speed them up because I can listen a lot faster than most people talk. 



I'm still downsizing, and I know there are still a lot of things I can remove from our trailer to make life more comfortable.  I am also still working on how to make simpler meals in the trailer, but I'm not cooking for just one or two people - I'm actually cooking for 4, and 2 of them are hearty eaters, so my joke is I'm cooking for ten.

That said, this is one of the things that I am putting on my list of must haves - solar and hand cranked weather radios.  This video speaks of spending $50 at WalMart, but there are some better deals on Amazon right now, more in the range of about $20 to $30.  (Note - this was written in October of 2016 - prices may have changed if you are reading this later.)




We have kept a weather radio on hand for years, ever since we moved to Texas the first time and learned about tornados, but ours is a plug in model that sounds an alarm when the National Weather Service sends out an alert.  This is as close as I could come to showing you what it looks like because I'm fairly certain it's so old that it's not being made any longer.  



With all the crazy weather we've been having, not just in Texas, I think everybody ought to have emergency supplies and a weather radio on hand.  

I'm working on getting my supplies ready - I hope you are doing the same or have already put yours together.

Until next time, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment