Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Shift Happens

Seems as though no matter where I turn, I see evidence that Profit is the new god and the Ferengi (Star Trek Reference) have nothing on the GOP. 

Meanwhile, sales of the 1949 novel by George Orwell, "1984", have soared.  When I checked it earlier today it was riding a high #5 in Books on Amazon.  When I was in high school in the early 1970s, this, along with A Separate Peace and Brave New World, were required reading. I have no idea if they still are, although I rather doubt it.  




It was suggested on Facebook recently that the current administration read 1984 and thought it was an instruction manual rather than a warning.  Feels that way, what with all the "Alternative Facts" floating around on social media.

As is so often the case, while searching for something else, I happened upon an interesting individual who has just published a book:  Trumpocalypse?: The Liberal's Guide to Saving The World

It's priced at $9.99 for the Kindle edition, and I understand it will soon be available as a printed volume.

 

 I also found another interesting book called "A Field Guide to Lies: Critical Thinking in the Information Age" that piqued my interest. 




I suppose I need to buckle down and read these books - however, I'm not sure if I should start with the two current ones, or go back and enjoy the old ones again.  In what order would you read them?

No comments:

Post a Comment